Many people are not sure what to do with kale beyond smoothies, salads and kale chips. So here is a creation you can make for dinner tonight using curly kale – one of our favorite greens at HeartBeet Farms! The recipe is originally by Ann Taylor Pittman with some modifications!
- 8 ounce whole wheat or multigrain spaghetti, linguini or whatever pasta you prefer
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounce mild pork Italian sausage (you can purchase from Marino & Son Meats in Centereach)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped and stemmed curly kale (from HeartBeet Farms!)
- 1 pint small cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes (from HeartBeet Farms!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved.
1. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the pasta for use later in the recipe.
2. Heat a large skilled over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage from pan.
3. Add oil to pan; Add pepper and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in kale and tomatoes; cover and cook 6 minutes or until tomatoes soften and wilt. Push kale and tomatoes to outer edges of pan.
4. Add tomato paste to center of pan; cook 1 minute and stir. Gradually add 1 cup cooking liquid from the pasta that you put to the side and continue stirring. Stir in sausage and salt. Add pasta to pan; cook 3 minutes and stir.
5. Top with cheese & enjoy!